A Fathers Delight!

Proverbs 3:5-12 (The Message translation)

5-12 Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.
Don't assume that you know it all.
Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor God with everything you own;
give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
your wine vats will brim over.
BUT, don't, dear friend, resent God's discipline;
don't sulk under his loving correction.
It's the child he loves that God corrects;
a father's delight is behind all this.

I remember when I was a child and need of discipline! Oh my, it did not feel like this was the best thing for me. You see, I knew as I am sure all of us did when we were children  we knew what was right and wrong. And, when we crossed that line, we knew what would happen. This was how we were taught and that is how we learned. As I read this scripture, the last part of it really caught my attention. The motive for the correction of course is the reason. Why did our parents correct us? Was this their motives to make us better and stronger people? They knew what we would face in this world, they knew life would be hard. I think of a small tree just being planted and tied with cable from all sides to keep it growing straight. Not free to just grow which ever way, but trained to grow straight. And then one day that tree is grown, and it is tall and majestic and able to withstand the storms that come. Then I know why it was given such strict attention. We are like that, we need Godly guidance all of our lives not just when we are small. We need to be accountable to God for our actions and especially reactions. We need to trust God when we are being blown around and it seems like we have lost our way. We are never alone, He is with us. But He is allowing the winds and storms of life toughen us, so that we will grow and mature as we should. As you also read in this passage, don't miss this "BUT", that I have capitalized. Trusting God, listening to Him and you will be blessed, BUT, do not overlook the rest of it. Read on, don't resent God when he disciplines us.  Remember He loves us and His intentions are for our good. I hope this blesses you as much as it does me. It is wonderful to claim the promises of God, BUT, there are stipulations also. We must do our part and trust is a big part of it. Thank you for stopping by, I pray you are safe and warm. (The picture above is what we have been dealing with this week. 11 inches of snow and sub zero temps.)                                                                   
Be blessed my friends!

I will be linking up with Metamorphosis Monday, the link follows:
http://bloggerspirit.blogspot.com/2011/02/welcome-to-spiritual-sunday.html

14 comments:

Karen said...

My favorite verse, but had never read it from The Message. Your snow picture is beautiful, being we don't see much here in MS. We are dealing with ice tonight. Praying the electricity don't go off, our only source of heat.

Sherry Southard said...

Just knowing that God knows what is best for me, gives me the feeling of security. After all, I can mess things up pretty good on my own. He has to be my mainstay or else I am lost. Thank you for such a great reminder. And from such a good friend.

Cindy Adkins said...

The view through your window is amazing as is the message of your blog...and I also send greetings your way and hope you stay warm..So nice to meet you!!!
XO

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

The Lord has always shown me my way home, I still thank him for all he has done for me.
Blessings,
Ginger

shannon i olson said...

I so wish I would live in a way that did not require discipline, I do think God has been quite patient with me though. Thanks for the lovely message

Anonymous said...

Listening to the song Who Am I is so fitting as I read this post.
Such comfort today, and in the future... "I am yours."

Nikki (Sarah) said...

that view...amazing...beautiful...His touch on the earth...coloring it white. His touch on our hearts...colors it white....

MTJ said...

Hi Shirley,

Thank you for sharing these encouraging thoughts that accompany this passage from Proverbs.

I don't think anyone chooses discipline at the time, yet in time, one may be blessed to discover the value of discipline. I like your example of a tree being tied with cables so that it will grow straight and tall. Discipline is for our benefit.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

Charlotte said...

Oh my, what a beautiful picture, and what a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing the scriptures and words of encouragement.
Blessings,
Charlotte

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

I just love this scripture from the message. You have a very elegant blog and you have given us a very inspired post today. God bless you richly, Dr. Bobbi @ Daily Grace

Musings of A Minister said...

Beautiful. Very encouraging post. Thank you.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

I know none of us enjoy discipline but it is such a comfort to know that he cares for us enough to keep us on the right path.
Your picture is beautiful. Thanks for sharing and stay warm.

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

Hi Shirley, I so love these encouraging Bible verses and what an apt devotional. Loved your next post as well, about your grandson's wedding. What a sweet new granddaughter you have and what a fun story. It's amazing how our minds can blank at the most inopportune times, when we are in the midst of so much going on. I'd say it's the joys of aging but I've had young friends tell me they've done the same which made us both feel better. :) Have a blessed week.

Donnie said...

That version of scripture was very readable. Hope yo all take care during this difficult winter.